Finding the Best Asphalt Driveways Contractors in MelbourneFreddie Jones | September 11, 2018 | 1 | Business Services
What is the use of a beautiful home if the road that leads to that is cracked and broken? An uneven driveway is very unsightly and mars the impression of an elegant and stately home. But there is no need to worry about that anymore. There are many companies that provide asphalting services in Australia. Melbourne too has many reputed contractors that cater to your need of a smooth and durable driveway. For residential asphalt driveways, one can seek help from experts and it is not an easy task for an individual as it requires special heavy machinery for asphalting, which is not readily available with the homeowners. Hence, before you decide to undertake the repairs of your asphalt driveways, it is advisable to hunt for a reliable contractor.
Asphalting is a process in which bituminous substance is mixed with sand and gravel and spread and compressed to give a uniform, smooth surface. A bituminous substance is non-volatile hydrocarbon either found naturally or as fractional distilled product of petroleum. Paths or roofs paved with asphalt have a prolonged life and retain the evenness of the surface. Driveways or roads made with asphalt ensure a smoother and comfortable ride. Asphalt being a sticky substance offers excellent road grip.
While asphalting the driveway, the following steps are necessary.
1. Removal of the old driveway surface. This also includes collecting loose gravel and levelling the surface.
2. Any driveway needs a proper slope so that rain water as well as cleaning water do not accumulate and flood. Experts give permissible angled slope so that the water drains out from the sides effortlessly.
3. Then fill in any low spots with base soil to level the grade. After laying a layer of base soil, it needs to be compressed well to have an even surface.
4. Next comes covering the base soil with crushed rock as it ensures proper drainage.
5. The thickness of rock layer depends upon the base soil. Clay soil under layer requires a thicker layer of rocks. However, sand soil needs comparatively thinner layer.
6. Packing the rocks in sub-soil and letting it rest for 7-8 days is essential for good road.
7. Choose asphalting aggregate of ½ to ¾ inch. Smaller aggregate is ideal for residential driveways; whereas external roads need to be extra thick. Smaller aggregate gives neater and smoother appearance to your driveway. An asphalt layer of 2-3 inches ensures stronger pavement.
8. An ideal angle for edging the asphalt is 45 degrees.
9. Run a heavy roller to compact and set the asphalt.
Now your wonderful driveway is ready!!
Besides laying new asphalt, contractors take up repair works as well. For asphalt driveways repairs in Melbourne, one has a choice of many contractors. There is no need to dig up the entire pavement or driveway. Instead, a good quality patchwork ensures the same result as new work. Nonetheless, the contractor should be reliable with a team of expert asphalt layers. Many times undertaking entire asphalting rework is not feasible, thus skilled patchwork repairs also serve the purpose of new like and smoother surface.
In case you need asphalt paving services Melbourne has today, the yellow pages can give you a listing of good and reliable names. For a quick reference of what type of service you can expect from such contractors, just study this link http://www.asphaltmelbourne.com.au/